Monday, April 21, 2008

Surgery support link action

For those who have stumbled across this blog looking for more information about jaw surgery, I have a number of links posted in my sidebar that I'd like to draw your attention to.

When I was faced with making the decision to have this surgery, I was terrified and didn't know where to turn to answer the multitude of questions whirring through my head.

Then, I came across a blog by someone who had the surgery who took the time to write about it and post pictures. She also linked to the Yahoo orthognathic surgery support group, which was a wealth of information with helpful people who had been through it themselves and were willing to answer questions and share their experiences.

Because of the answers I found through these links, I was able to make an informed and confident decision to have the surgery. I went into it with my eyes open and I knew exactly what to expect. I credit my positive experience with the fact that I did my research and I was prepared.

That's why I started this blog - to help other people find the information they need to make the right decision for them. Being told you need surgery is a scary, scary thing and research is the key that changes that fear into power.

If you look at my sidebar, you'll see a heading called Online Support Group Links. These are message boards where people can ask questions and talk about their experiences.

Below those, I have two groupings of blogs listed. The first is Pre-Surgery Blogs: people who are preparing for the surgery. The second is Post-Surgery Blogs: those on the other side of the surgery and are either still in recovery or have completed the process entirely. Your surgeon or orthodontist is a great source of information, but there are certain things that you'll learn from people who have been through it that you won't learn anywhere else.

Beneath the blog links are some information links as well as links to homeopathic remedies, recipes and products that I found useful when recovering from surgery.

I would like to link to many jaw surgery blogs as I can so that there is a wide variety of experiences represented here. If you have a blog about your surgery, whether you are still waiting for it to happen or you're well beyond the bone saw, please email me or leave a link to your blog in my comments so I can add it to my list.

I hope you are able to find the information you're looking for. Good luck!

5 comments:

Leah said...

your blog is a great help! I will be having BSSO in May. http://www.leahsjawsurgery.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I'm having my surgery next Wednesday, 4-30 (upper, lower, & genio) and I can't tell you how much I have appreciated your blog. What a great resource!

nabukay said...

hi Bella, only stumbled across you today but you're in good hands the ortho buddies are a great support system. I'll add your link to my blog so i can check up on your progress sometimes. go well.

Bella said...

Thank you all for the comments and support. I am so glad that I was able to help others after so many people have provided such useful information to me.

Nabukay,

Thanks for the add. I really appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

thanks for having al the blogs listed, as well as sharing your experience. I'm pre-surgery, and just started a blog today:
http://thewiredlife.wordpress.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails