Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ask Bella: Zip-n-Squeeze Update

Q: I am getting upper and lower jaw surgery on January 28. I was planning on buying some Zip-n-Squeeze bags to help with eating but after I found this blog I am a little concerned about their customer service and the legitimacy of the company. One, did you need them and two, did you have problems with the company? Were there any other items you wish you had purchased or been prepared with before the surgery (i.e. a jaw bra) or would really recommend?

A: Thanks for reading, and writing. I didn't have problems with the Zip-n-Squeeze company back when I had my surgery, but that was almost two years ago, and there seems to be something going on with the company over the last several months. The website is still up, but when you try to put anything into your cart, you will get the message, "This recipient is currently unable to receive money." So, even if you want to order from them, you can't.

However, I'll tell you what I've told other people who have written me, frantically trying to get their hands on Zip-n-Squeeze bags: they're not necessary. I didn't even use mine very much. In the hospital, I used the syringes and tubing they provided, and at home, I did use the smaller Zip-n-Squeeze bags to rinse my mouth out with salt water and to drink juice, but I found that because I got my swelling down so quickly, I was able to slurp pudding or soup from a spoon, and the syringes worked well, too.

I was wired shut for two weeks, and four days were spent in the hospital where I didn't have to worry about taking care of myself, so that was handy. I imagine it would be more difficult for people who are wired shut longer, but when it comes to coping with hunger, people can be really resourceful - we will always find something that works to get food into our mouths!

As for your other question, here's a list of things I took to the hospital when I had my surgery: http://www.smilingbella.com/2008/02/things-to-pack-for-hospital.html. I think a jaw bra would be fantastic - be sure to get lots of extra cooling pacs and put them in your freezer so they're ready when you need them. Of course, there is a low-tech way to do this as well. The hospital gave me this gauze sock that they put cooling pacs in and tied around my head; it worked just as well, though it wasn't nearly as pretty (pictures are here: http://www.smilingbella.com/2008/02/week-in-pictures.html).

Good luck with your surgery!


*To ask Bella a question about her jaw surgery, email her at smilingbella at gmail dot com or leave a comment on this post. Go ahead: ask away!!

1 comment:

piranha said...

Hi Bella, I hope you don't mind that I am leaving a comment intended for the person who wrote to you. The reason being, I overstocked on Zip-N-Squeeze stuff and I am trying to sell a whole bunch of them. (hospital kit, 5 puree bags and 5 liquid bags + healing jaw guidebook) Please pass my contact details to the person who sent you the e-mail, if possible. Thanks a lot! (jengdizon@gmail.com)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails