Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Second Jawiversary!

Friday was my two-year jawiversary (jaw surgery anniversary date) and today, Valentine's Day, marks two years since I came home from surgery with my jaw wired shut. It's hard to believe, because it feels so long ago, like it never actually happened.

A few weeks ago, I was absentmindedly running my fingers lightly across my chin when I realized that it felt...normal. There was no difference in sensation from the skin on either side of my chin to that on my chin itself. Which means the nerves damaged by the surgery have completely regenerated!

The majority of the sensation returned in the months after the surgery, but there was just a slight difference of sensation that very slowly improved over the past two years, and now it's totally healed. Hooray!

I'm thrilled with the results of the surgery. My smile is straight, my teeth fit together, I can chew like a real person, I don't have TMJ problems anymore, and I have a fabulous chin and profile.

I have no regrets about the surgery; although the recovery was really difficult, it was worth it in the end. Life is good.

7 comments:

Elan Morgan said...

I can't believe that it's been TWO years already!

Richard said...

Hello Bella,

I was checking out Melissa’s blog a follower of yours and fell upon your blog. Glad to hear you are happy with the results of your surgery and hope everything is going well. I agree that a good sense of humour can get you through most things, even dental treatment as extensive as this! I would just like to say well done on blogging your treatment as, I am sure you know, this is a great help to others who are considering this treatment.

I see you provide links and so was wondering if you would consider linking the http://www.cosmeticdentistryguide.co.uk/ This would give you and your followers access to a range of information concerning dental treatment like TMJ and braces.

The Cosmetic Dentistry Guide is the leading provider of cosmetic dental information online in the UK and the most visited in the world, and includes a forum as well as an expert answers section.

Orthodontics - http://www.cosmeticdentistryguide.co.uk/orthodontics.html
TMJ - http://www.cosmeticdentistryguide.co.uk/tmj.html

Our homepage is: http://www.cosmeticdentistryguide.co.uk/

I hope you feel this information is useful to your followers and am glad to hear the treatment was worth it in the end. Well done.


Richard.

MistzfitArtisty said...

congrats! I have my surgery march 10! I'll be glad to say when it's two years for me!

My Jaw Journey said...

Bella, thanks for constantly updating your blog! i've noticed other bloggers kind of die off after a while so yours is great! i keep wanting to hear when the numbness comes completely back so to hear this was awesome! thanks for the updates!!!! my surgery is april 7th!

Bella said...

I'm glad you appreciate what I do. Thanks so much for taking time to comment!

Leila said...

Im due for top n bottom surgery in a week. Im in NZ and had given up hope of finding anything like the zip n squeeze bags n was just hoping I'd be ok with a straw. However just found those nutrisqueeze bags - I should have checked this site first and saved myself the search! I hope dont take too long to arrive, I suppose I'll just have to use a syringe for liquids in the meantime! Thanks for the update Bella, so positive that life goes on as normal after a major face rearrangement and that all your feelings and functions have totally recovered. Definately makes me feel better about my future too!

Bella said...

Good luck with your surgery, Leila! Thanks for commenting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails