Sunday, July 13, 2008

Into the home stretch

I had my first post-surgery teeth cleaning on Friday. My gums were so sore from the baking soda tooth-blasting tool they used, but man, my teeth feel so clean! The dental hygienist marvelled at the difference the surgery made to my smile and asked me the changes I noticed.

I told her that just that morning, I was eating my organic shreddie-esque cereal and marvelling at how my teeth fit together. As I chewed the cereal using all of my teeth - front, sides, back, every possible surface an option, it dawned on me that this is how "normal" people eat.

They don't have to do strange jawnastics, using their tongues to make all the food go to the back of their mouths and to the right side, and then chew sideways to make their teeth meet correctly. They just chew. Up and down. What a concept.

Being able to chew without effort is something most people take for granted, but I think it will always fill me with a bit of wonder. I can't imagine taking it for granted after all this.

I went to my orthodontist last week as well, and he said that I can get my braces off anytime - I just have to coordinate with my dentist to have my gaps filled in before they can make my retainers.

When they did the surgery, they moved my upper teeth forward to make space for my lower jaw to advance. After this surgery, it is quite common that the upper teeth don't end up fitting together perfectly, leaving a few gaps that will need to be filled in with white composite fillings.

The earliest I can see my dentist to do this is September 3, so I may be stuck with the braces until then. I'll meet with my orthodontist next week to find out the plan for sure. But after everything I've been through so far, waiting an extra month for everything to come together is totally worth it.

Plus, I'm going to get my dentist to fill in the little chips in my two front teeth that I've had since I was a little kid. And I'm going to get my teeth whitened while I'm at it.

I can barely wipe the grin off my face already!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray!

Katherine (Kate) said...

I guess you're grinning. Let the countdown begin!

Anonymous said...

Yay! That's fantastic. I can't wait to be chewing like a normal person too.

mylene

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails